Student Interview- Erin McAneany

Student Name: Erin McAneany

1. What is your name?

Erin McAneany

1. What is your major?

Actuarial Science

1. What year in school are you?

Junior

1. What is your hometown?

Madison, CT

1. Which Judaic Studies courses have you taken?

Sociology of Anti-Semitism (SOCI 2509W) with Professor Arnold Dashefsky

1. Why did you choose to take that class?

I chose to take the Sociology of anti-Semitism for a few reasons, one being my interest in how historic events and attitudes have affected the prevalence of modern anti-Semitism.  I was also interested in how past anti-Semitism has influenced prejudice in today’s society.  I thoroughly enjoyed Professor Dashefsky’s class and got more out of it than I thought possible.

1. What is your favorite thing to do on campus during a snow day?

I always trudge through the snow with my friends down to Blaze to get some hot pizza to warm us up!

1. What activities on campus are you involved in?

I am a member of both Delta Gamma and Gamma Iota Sigma (Actuarial Science Fraternity) and I often tutor students in different areas of math.  I also partake in campus-wide events such as HuskyTHON and am a member of a few clubs on campus.

1. What are you most looking forward to this semester?

I am studying abroad in Florence, Italy this semester!  I am beyond excited to immerse myself in a new culture by learning the language, engaging in new customs, and of course by trying all the best gelato.

1. Do you have any advice for incoming students who may be reading this?

I think that expanding yourself outside of your comfort zone is one of the best ways to get the most out of your college experience.  For example, one of my favorite classes I have taken at UConn has been the Sociology of anti-Semitism.  Even though this class is not related to my major whatsoever, I would have really missed out on a great experience had I not elected to take this course.

1. What other experiences have enriched your studies?

Last summer, I was fortunate enough to have worked as an actuarial intern, an experience I found tremendously valuable as it gave me the opportunity apply my major in a professional and practical environment. Although the bulk of my work was focused on actuarial tasks, I was able to gain skills that have helped me in many other areas of my life. For example, the lessons I learned in time management and the balance of my extensive workload have made me a much more productive student. My internship experience also made my classes at UConn more enjoyable because I was able to take what I had learned in class and apply it to real world scenarios. This continues to motivate me as a student, knowing that the knowledge I gain in my studies will assist me as I transform into a contributing member of society.