Student Interview- Arianna Dines

Ariana Dines is a sophomore economics major and geography minor, involved in the many on-campus activities. Read her interview below to learn more about Arianna!

1. What is your name?

Arianna Dines

1. What is your major?

Economics with a geography minor

1. What year in school are you?

Second year

1. What is your hometown?

Bedford, MA

1. Which Judaic Studies courses have you taken?

Ethiopian Jews in Ethiopia and Israel and Sociology of Antisemitism

1. Why did you choose to take these classes?

I had met Ethiopian Jews my age and heard their personal stories but I wanted to learn more about the Ethiopian Jews’ fascinating history and their place in Israeli society. I took Sociology of Antisemitism because I think today people forget that antisemitism is still prevalent in many societies globally and I believe it is important to study. It also fulfilled a few requirements for me!

1. What is your favorite thing to do on campus during a snow day?

Probably get cozy and watch a documentary, hang out with friends, and catch up on work I’ve procrastinated on!

1. What activities on campus are you involved in?

Women and Minorities in Economics, Tap Club, and Hillel

1. What are you most looking forward to this semester?

I’m actually studying abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina. I’m excited to be immersed in the culture and language, explore nature outside of the city, and hopefully learn about the large Jewish community there!

1. Do you have any advice for incoming students who may be reading this?

As long as you plan, you have time to fit really cool activities into your schedule in the next four years. I’ve had time to take unique, unrequired classes, study abroad, and fit in a minor and maybe a second major. Also, everyone says this, but get involved—it’s the best thing you can do for yourself while at UConn. Pick a couple organizations you’re interested in and stick with them. Finally, know that you can use your points at Chuck and Augie’s in the U if you ever get tired of dining hall food!

1. What other experiences have enriched your studies?

Little things here and there, that usually involve creating connections with others who study economics too. The club Women and Minorities in Economics has allowed me to meet others in my major and even faculty. In addition, last semester I started going to economics tutoring because I didn’t understand one homework. The same people kept going back and we ended up having study groups on our own.  I also enjoy going to the occasional lecture on a topic I’m interested in, such as climate change or social issues.

1. Do you know what you want to do when you graduate?

I’m not 100% sure, but I’m interested in urban planning. Urban planning is quite broad and can include more technical aspects like zoning and transportation, but I’m interested in improving the economy and community dynamic in areas that are struggling or blighted.

1. What courses are you taking this semester?

While in Argentina, I will be taking Social Economy in Latin America, Economic Integration in Argentina, Political and Social Change, Latin American Relations, and a Spanish Class.