Student Interview: Tara Lokke

“I believe it is important to study all of humanities strengths and weaknesses in order to create a better community. The Holocaust was a time of extreme division and superiority that resulted in a horrific blemish on the face of humanity. In order to create a better tomorrow, we must fully understand the mistakes made yesterday.” – Tara Lokke

1. What is your name?

Tara Lokke

1. What is your major?

History

1. What year in school are you?

Junior

1. What is your hometown?

I have a few. I was born in Reno, Nevada, lived in North Kingstown, Rhode Island, and then in College Station, Texas.

1. Which Judaic Studies courses have you taken?

A class called The Holocaust. It is a combined Judaic Studies and History course discussing the causes and events of the Holocaust.

1. Why did you choose to take that class?

I believe it is important to study all of humanities strengths and weaknesses in order to create a better community. The Holocaust was a time of extreme division and superiority that resulted in a horrific blemish on the face of humanity. In order to create a better tomorrow, we must fully understand the mistakes made yesterday.

1. What was the most interesting thing you learned in your course?

The comradery felt among the inmates of the concentration and death camps provided an example of the power of human connection and the strength of the human spirit.

1. What is your favorite thing to do on campus during a snow day?

Snuggle up and watch movies!

1. What activities on campus are you involved in?

I work a lot with the Veteran Association and Military Services on campus, working to collect Veteran’s stories to preserve them for future generations.

1. What is your favorite flavor of ice cream at the dairy bar?

I really like to get cake batter with rainbow sprinkles. It makes it feel like my birthday any day.

1. What was your favorite class? (Judaic studies or not)

I honestly don’t think I have a favorite. Each class brings a new experience with more information. If I had to say the class I had the most fun in, I would probably say the exhibit class that I took with Dr. Fiona Vernal where we created an exhibit on the ANC and South Africa and opened it in the Dodd Center. That exhibit has already made an impact for South Africa and continues to spread information to schools near and far.

1. What other experiences have enriched your studies?

I actually started my own research project called The Story Front and Beat Your Gums that has impacted my life and studies tremendously. I have met incredible people, made wonderful friends, and learned more from the Veterans that I interviewed than I might have learned in my life.